Events are open only to members of the Certified Dipsos.
Tuesday 30 October 2018: Little-known Spanish varieties
Following our February tasting of little-known and somewhat obscure Italian grape varieties we plan to repeat the exercise, this time looking at Spain. Spain is primarily known for varieties such as Tempranillo and Garnacha, but there is a wealth of other lesser-known varieties waiting to be discovered. We propose to taste the following sixteen wines:
(1) Envínate Palo Blanco 2016 (Listan Blanco – VT Tenerife)
(2) B y V Bernabeleva Cantocuerdas 2016 (Albillo – DO Vinos de Madrid)
(3) Enric Soler Espenyalluchs 2016 (Xarel-lo – DO Penedès)
(4) Quinta de Muradella Gorvia 2013 (Doña Blanca – DO Monterrei)
(5) L A Rodríguez Vázquez Viña de Martín Escolma 2013 (Treixadura – DO Ribeiro)
(6) Raúl Pérez Rara Avis Blanco 2011 (Albarin – Tierra de León)
(7) Suertes del Marqués El Chiribique 2015 (Vijariego Negro – DO Valle de la Orotava)
(8) Suertes del Marqués Cruz Santa 2016 (Listán Negro – DO Valle de la Orotava)
(9) 4 Kilos Vinicola 4 Kilos 2016 (Callet – VT Mallorca)
(10) Antonio Ponce Pino 2016 (Bobal – DO Manchuela)
(11) Celler del Roure Parotet 2015 (Mandό – DO Valencia)
(12) J C Sancha Ad Libitum Monastel 2016 (Monastel – DOC Rioja)
(13) B y V Mengoba Mengoba Estaladiña 2015 (Estaladiña – VM Bierzo)
(14) Raúl Pérez Rara Avis 2011 (Prieto Picudo – Tierra de León)
(15) Viñedos del Contino Contino Graciano 2011 (idem – DOC Rioja)
(16) A surprise!
The tasting will take place upstairs at the Central Hotel, Exchequer Street, Dublin 2 (on the left-hand side heading towards Fallon & Byrne from South Great Georges Street) at 6.30 pm on Tuesday 30 October. The cost is €50 and cheques made payable to The Certified Dipsos should be sent to our treasurer, Aisling Donnelly, at 65 Griffith Hall, Glandore Road, Drumcondra, Dublin 9.
The start of a new season also means that the annual membership subscription is now due. The subscription has been maintained at €25 and again cheques should be sent to Aisling Donnelly at the address above. For those wishing to attend the tasting and pay the subscription a single cheque for €75 is fine.
Members who do not use cheques can contact Aisling by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make arrangements to pay by bank transfer. If paying by bank transfer please email details to Aisling, as she does not have online access to the bank account and can monitor payments only by checking the monthly bank statements.
Don’t forget your tasting glasses! Please also bring a spittoon or some receptacle suitable for use as a spittoon as unfortunately the hotel is not in a position to supply spittoons.
27 November 2018
29 January 2019
26 February 2019
26 March 2019
30 April 2019
Saturday 29 June 2019 – Dipso Day (date subject to confirmation)
There were some very interesting and broad-ranging suggestions for tasting topics received on Dipso Day 2018. We are working on incorporating as many of these ideas as possible into the tasting schedule for the coming year. The tasting venue will be the same in the 2018/19 season: Central Hotel, Exchequer Street, Dublin 2.
Dates for the trip, which will be in May, will be published when confirmed. The destination has not yet been chosen.
Follow us on Twitter: @TDipsos